Date:      Mon, 07 Aug 1995 07:40:26 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard), freebsd-current@freebsd.org, joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: workaround for talk's address problem

>NFS does not have such a problem, or at least I have never seen it, and
>I have _lots_ of networks, all but 1 serving NFS:
>
>gndrsh# nslookup gndrsh.aac.dev.com
>Server:  gndrsh.aac.dev.com
>Address:  0.0.0.0
>
>Name:    gndrsh.aac.dev.com
>Addresses:  198.145.92.49, 198.145.92.241, 198.145.92.17, 198.145.92.33
>

>mountd gets confused if you add an interface and don't restart it, but
>other than that and routing path problems it works just fine.  It does
>not have the problem that was described about talk, NFS handles this
>stuff just fine!

Is gndrsh the only multi-homed machine you have?  Since gndrsh is also
the nameserver you are resolving from, you will not see the problem with
NFS so long as any client is on a net local to gndrsh.  Bind is smart
enough to order its results to any client on a local net since it can
easily determine which is "closest" to the client.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM