Date:      Wed, 4 Oct 2000 11:45:06 -0500
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com, John Howie <JHowie@msn.com>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ftpd bug in FreeBSD through at least 3.4

On Mon, Oct 02, 2000 at 09:48:26PM +0000, Terry Lambert scribbled:
| > [ Moved to -chat ]
| > Really?  Explain to me how Win95/NT 'supports' it's easier with day-day
| > bugfixes in a manner that's better than FreeBSD?
| I wish my Vaio's winmodem worked on FreeBSD.  Same for the
| sound card, and don't get me started on DVD playback support.

Winmodem can't be helped.  But sound and DVD both work on my VAIO z505js
Sound was done by "device pcm," and DVD just "worked."
Many people have had trouble installing drivers in WinXX.
In fact, on my desktop system, FreeBSD supports a couple pieces of
*new* hardware that Win2K cannot use.

Lucent seems to have released a winmodem driver for linux.

| > However, back to the issue at hand.  Microsoft doesn't support old OS's
| > like Win95 and NT3.5/4.0.  Heck, support for Win98 just ended with the
| > release of WinME.
|
| If you buy a new machine with an old OS, it's supported by
| Microsoft for 90 days from date of purchse, so long as the
| vendor has a contract with Microsoft.

If you buy a new machine from Telenet with FreeBSD or BSD/OS,
I think it would be supported...
But, are you buying FreeBSD when you do an FTP install?