Date:      Mon, 6 Dec 1999 23:13:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Extended File Attributes for FFS (request for design  comments)

On Mon, 6 Dec 1999, Brett Glass wrote:

> I seem to recall that HP/UX does something very much like what you describe.
> (Actually, they get even fancier; they can cause you to open or see a
> DIFFERENT FILE depending on what architecture you're running. This trickery
> is done via environment variables.)
>
> Their file system extensions might be worth a look.

My understanding is that TRIX (Trusted IRIX) and some other trusted
operating systems play namespace games to maintain the MAC properties of
publically writable directories (i.e., a "SECRET" vs. "TOPSECRET" tmp
dir), but that the namespace tricks are not part of the attribute
functionality, but instead a property of special symlinks (or the like),
not unlike the AFS @sys behavior.  I believe there was an extensive
discussion of the costs/merits of namespace games on -CURRENT last year
sometime, but that the idea was rejected for various reasons.

It should be noted that this attribute behavior does not introduce
significant cost in the cases where it is not used--only a boolean if
check + pointer dereference, most likely.  And you could even compile out
all the codepaths if desired (#ifdef UFS_EXT_ATTR).

  Robert N M Watson