Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2001 18:46:40 -0300 (BRST)
From:      Rik van Riel <riel@conectiva.com.br>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        David Xu <bsddiy@21cn.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vm balance

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, Matt Dillon wrote:

> :I heard NetBSD has implemented a FreeBSD like VM, it also implemented
> :a VM balance in recent verion of NetBSD. some parameters like TEXT,
> :DATA and anonymous memory space can be tuned. is there anyone doing
> :such work on FreeBSD or has FreeBSD already implemented it?
>
>     FreeBSD implements a very sophisticated VM balancing algorithm.  Nobody's
>     complaining about it so I don't think we need to really change it.  Most
>     of the other UNIXes, including Linux, are actually playing catch-up to
>     FreeBSD's VM design.

In the balancing part, definately. FreeBSD seems to be the only
system that has the balancing right. I'm planning on integrating
some of the balancing tactics into Linux for the 2.5 kernel, but
I'm not sure how to integrate the inode and dentry cache into the
balancing scheme ...

I'm curious about the other things though ... FreeBSD still seems
to have the early 90's abstraction layer from Mach and the vnode
cache doesn't seem to grow and shrink dynamically (which can be a
big win for systems with lots of metadata activity).

So while it's true that FreeBSD's VM balancing seems to be the
best one out there, I'm not quite sure about the rest of the VM...

regards,

Rik

		http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/	http://distro.conectiva.com.br/