Date:      Tue, 4 Nov 1997 18:32:52 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br (Joao Carlos Mendes Luis)
Cc:        jonny@coppe.ufrj.br, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: audio modules for various applications

> // I am not familiar about the Sun audio API to say how good or bad
> // it is.
>
> The biggest win is that it's more standard.
>
> Except from Linux Toys, everything I've ever seen in Free Multimedia
> runs on Sun hardware.

but people want toys... and now that they don't have /usr/games
anymore ... :)

> If the Linux source compatibility is really that important, there
> could be some sort of compat devices.  In NetBSD there's a compat/ossaudio
> directory.

once you have to implement compatibility modes, you need all the low
level features to implement them. As an example, implementing mmapped
access to the audio buffer is very challenging.

> Also, /dev/audio could be the "Sun Device", and /dev/dsp the "Linux
> Device".

there is no need to differentiate things like this. It's the ioctl()
which you use that should suffice to make the difference.

> // I am looking at the definition of a new API for audio device, aimed
> // at minimizing the number of calls, and giving more support to
> // synchronization. But this will not be SUN either...
>
> If you need a new API, why not to use something compatible ?

if it does what I want, why not ? I'll look into the Sun documentation.
Remember -- I am not looking after a thousand different library
functions, just a basic, simple, effective set of ioctl() calls.

	Cheers
	Luigi