Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 00:07:39 -0500
From:      "Security Mgr." <trouble@webfyre.com>
To:        GR Gaudreau <grgaud@sprint.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD or Linux?

GR Gaudreau wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm not UNIX proficient and have been a Windoze user since version 3.0. All
> I want to do is to run my computer as a workstation, get on the Internet,
> do some word processing and HTML programming, and some light graphical
> work. I have a board that has an AMD K5 90Mhz, 32BM RAM, two 504MB Quantum
> HDDs, and an ATI 264CT video card with 2MB RAM.
>
> I don't mind the learning curve, I know I can learn to use this OS. I might
> even be tempted to learn to program if the right UNIX-like OS came along.
> I've had a tiny bit of experience with Linux. I had it on my computer for
> about two weeks. ;-) I want to move away from Windoze 9x to a stable and
> dependable OS. Would I be better off installing say, Redhat 5.1, or the
> latest version of FreeBSD? And, what X-Windows GUI should I run on my
> machine? Damn! there are so many of them!! Thanks.

FreeBSD definatley with Enlightenment DR 0.14 as a window manager, though
linux is nice, and i use it also i would recommend FreeBSD over it as it has
better networking, and is much more stable, as RedHat 5.1 has levied many
numerous security concerns in the past 3 months, id recommend slackware or
debian in the linux world, definatley not REDHAT... but again FreeBSD is the
best bet