Date:      Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:53:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        Tom ONeil <tom.oneil@tacni.com>, Free <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 2U server choice - experience/suggestions?

On Wed, 24 Jan 2001, Dennis wrote:

> >   If you don't mind a 3U format, try the IBM eServer x340.  I don't think
> >you will find anything that can beat it:  redundant power supplies, up to
> >two CPUs, 133mhz FSB, 64bit PCI, three hotswap SCSI bays and three more
> >can be added, and redundant and hotswap fans.  The fans are particularly
> >nice.  The x340 doesn't use CPU fans, but an air-flow tunnel over the
> >CPUs, which a full-size hostswap fan at each end (push, pull arragement).
> >If one of these fans fails, the other speeds up, with no software
> >intervention required.
> >
> >   Of course, IBM ServeRAID cards aren't supported by FreeBSD, so I use a
> >Mylex AccelRAID 352 in it.  IBM owns Myles now, so IBM has no problem with
> >this.  The hotswap bays support SAF-TE, so rebuilding of failed drives is
> >automatic too.
>

> 3u is kind of a waste, as with a 4U you generally dont need a riser so you
> get maximum functionality for a little extra space (including 64bit
> functionality).
>
> in making a choice, its good policy to stay away from proprietary layouts
> (the intels servers for example, and compaq) because you are locked into
> specific MBs at least. There are plenty of generic solutions around that
> take regular MBs which offer you the maximum flexibility.
>
> Whats good to use today may not be true tomorrow, so you need to keep your
> options open in an environment like freebsd.
>
> DB

  Well, you can use regular cards in a 3U card without a riser.  And 64bit
cards too.

  Propietary layouts offer more features.  For instance, IBM include light
guide diagnostics on their motherboards.  No else offers that.  Besides,
the motherboard is part of the package.  You can't buy a generic chassis,
and a generic motherboard, and get anything as tightly integrated as IBM
eServer x340.

  For instance, if a CPU fan dies on your generic motherboard, the best
you can hope for is for the CPU to clock down.  And you will have to power
the server down to replace the CPU fan.  But with a integrated
motherboard/chassis combo like the x340, no problem.  There is no clock
down required, and all fans are hot-pluggable.

  http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/eserver/xseries/x340.html

Tom