Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:12:51 -0400
From:      W Gerald Hicks <gehicks@gehicks.dyndns.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Out of disk space on snapshots-jp?

I might propose that any driver supported under sysinstall needs to
support kldloading but I haven't really thought that through   :-)

The issue here is that the BOOTMFS kernel has traditionally
(for freebsd) been derived by filtering GENERIC.  GENERIC
has been changed in a way that causes BOOTMFS to be too
large.

With the current hack^Wmethod used by make release we are
required to add elements to a shell script which deletes items
from the GENERIC configuration to create BOOTMFS.

If my proposition holds water we can do away with the linkage
to GENERIC in favor of a statically defined and minimal BOOTMFS
kernel.

Cheers,

Jerry Hicks
gehicks@gehicks.dyndns.org