Date:      Sat, 7 Jul 2001 20:12:26 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Ardelean Gheorghe <ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Install problems with FreeBSD on Alpha Server 2100, 5/250

Hi,

>Maybe it is possible to run an installation test with Tru64 (or VMS for
>that matter ;-) to rule this out?

Because I don't have the Tru64 UNIX handy (until monday) I've tryed to
install NetBSD, OpenBSD, RedHat and SuSE to check the hardware.

1)NetBSD booted the kernel and died soon because platform is not
configured.
And the message:
 Please boot a kernel with "options DEC_2100_A500" and reboot

2)OpenBSD behaves very similar to NetBSD:

Entering bsd at 0x...

Support for system type 9 is not present in this kernel.
 Please boot a kernel with "options DEC_2100_A500" and reboot
panic: platform not configured.

P00>>>

3) RedHat died while asking for the second floppy!

4) SuSE: kernel is booting and the installation program appears (yast)
   asking different things. It's also able to fetch the file from suse ftp
   server (FTP install).

BTW: It looks that DEMI-SABLE and SABLE comes in 2 flavors

	EV4 -> SABLE
	EV5 -> GAMMA-SABLE

(ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/axp/current/disks/systypes.txt)

I am wating for help and instructions how we can proceed because I'd like
to have FreeBSD on the server.

Should I also try with True 64?

+--
 Gheorghe ARDELEAN
| Fraunhofer Institut fuer Integrierte Schaltungen  |
| Bereich Bauelementetechnologie IIS-B              |
| Schottky str. 10                                  |
| D-91058 Erlangen, Germany                         |
| Tel. +49-(0)9131-761252                           |
| Email: ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de                |
|     gheorghe.ardelean@ww.uni-erlangen.de          |