Date:      Mon, 6 Aug 2001 17:18:49 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Eugene L. Vorokov" <vel@bugz.infotecs.ru>
To:        roam@ringlet.net (Peter Pentchev)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libmp

> > Hmm yes, it's there. But the snapshot I installed first doesn't
> > have it (why ?). When I installed it manually prior to compiling libs,
> > libmp compiles fine ... Btw, is there any guide of what is the proper
> > order of compiling things after cvsup ?
>
> Yep, the src/UPDATING file.
>
> What do you mean, the snapshot did not have it?  Did you really
> CVSup 5.0-current on a machine running an earlier version, or did
> you install from a pre-built 5.0-current snapshot?  Or are you referring
> to the CVSup snapshot - in what sense did it "not have it" -
> there was no src/crypto/openssl/ directory, or there was no
> src/secure/lib/libcrypto/ directory, or the libcrypto Makefile did
> not install the OpenSSL header files files under
> /usr/obj/.../src/i386/usr/include/openssl?
>
> How exactly are you trying to compile things?  What did you do
> after the CVSup run?  And.. what version are you updating from?

I first installed the snapshot 5.0-20010618-CURRENT. Then I installed
cvsup and cvsup'ed src-all collection. When it was completed, I
tried to recompile the kernel, but config was complaining that it's
version doesn't match the kernel version, so I compiled and installed
src/usr.sbin/config, then I configured and compiled kernel, it
compiled fine. Then I rebooted and tried to compile the userland things.
I was thinking that I must first install new include files, then
compile and install libs and then executables. So I did make
and make install in the src/include directory and tried to do the
same in the src/lib, but it stopped on libmp. At that point I had
no /usr/include/openssl directory at all, and no libs either. Then
I tried to compile src/secure/lib, but make there couldn't be completed
too, because libcypher, which is compiled first, also was complaining
about openssl library. I tried to compile src/secure/lib/libssl,
it compiled successfully, but still it did not properly install all
nesessary include files to /usr/include/openssl (only a few were
installed), so I had to manually copy src/secure/lib/libssl/openssl/*
to /usr/include/openssl/, after which I was able to compile the rest
in src/secure/lib, the rest in src/secure and then, finally, src/lib.

I think the reason that my initial installation didn't have openssl
could be that I just forgot to toggle the appropriate flag in the
sysinstall, but still, IMHO this shouldn't make update process that
tricky. Generally, I think Makefiles could be constructed to reflect
those dependencies, no ?

And, why make install in the src/secure/lib/openssl only does this
(first line wrapped so that mailer won't be confused with too long
line):

vel@bugz:/usr/src/secure/lib/libssl # make install
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444  /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/../ssl/ssl.h
                                    /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/../ssl/ssl2.h
                                    /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/../ssl/ssl23.h
                                    /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/../ssl/ssl3.h
                                    /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/../ssl/ssl_locl.h
                                    /usr/src/secure/lib/libssl/../../../crypto/openssl/crypto/../ssl/tls1.h
                                    /usr/include/openssl
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libssl.a /usr/lib
install -c -o root -g wheel -m 444   libssl_p.a /usr/lib
install -c -s -o root -g wheel -m 444     libssl.so.2 /usr/lib

There a lot of other include files it should copy ... Or must I
compile something else too before I can simply type "make" in
the src/secure/lib which will work ? And if so, then again, why
isn't Makefile there written to compile things in a proper order ?

Regards,
Eugene