Date:      Sat, 06 Dec 1997 10:47:53 -0800
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Interested in patches for dhcp in rc.*?

Nate Williams wrote:

> > A lot of people have been asking about our support for DHCP, and as
> > cable modems become more popular, I think that those requests will
> > increase. I use one, and I've been working on integrating it into my
> > system.  I've got things going basically the way I want them, and it
> > occured to me that adding options for it into rc.conf and rc.network
> > would be useful.
>
> Would it be possible to have the ISC/DHCP port 'patch' the system easily
> for these kinds of things, or better yet add a new 'rc' file that gets
> run *after* rc.conf but before rc.network, thereby relying less on
> FreeBSD's changing file?

	Unless I'm missing something, this would involve patching rc instead of
rc.network, which seemed to me to be a more serious thing.  In either
case, you'd still want an option to prevent it from loading, since you
don't always want to bring it up on boot. My thinking was to keep the
dhcp_client options in rc.conf very generic so that at some point in the
future when we integrate it into the base system, rc.conf won't have to
be changed.

> Then, you'd have the best of both worlds, the
> ability to keep the 'base' stuff clean from non-existant FreeBSD
> sources, and also the flexibility of being able to have the new
> functionality at boot time.

	I did note the concern regarding including options for things that are
not part of FreeBSD in my original post. The use of dhcp is growing in
popularity, so I thought it would be nice to get out ahead of the curve
with scripting hooks now that could be tied into later when we have
sources in the tree.

> Ff/when DHCP gets integrated into the tree I think it should get 'hooks'
> in the standard files.

	Agreed.

Doug