Date:      Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:19:08 +0100
From:      simond@irrelevant.org
To:        Odhiambo Washington <wash@wananchi.com>, FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SMP

On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:45:07PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * simond@irrelevant.org <simond@irrelevant.org> [20010417 17:35]: writing on the subject 'Re: SMP'
> simond> On Tue, Apr 17, 2001 at 05:30:19PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> simond> > Hello,
> simond> > For the first time I've built an SMP kernel and the box boots up fine,
> simond> > detecting the 2 CPUs but I am just wondering at what point the 2nd CPU
> simond> > comes into play. Is this when the 1st CPU has load of some %age??
> simond> > How can I monitor the loads on the CPUs?
> simond>
> simond> Generally I guess the 2nd processor is used whenever two or more processes
> simond> are trying to run at once, I just got myself a dual p3/733 system last week
> simond> so I'm still getting the hang of it. The best way I've found is to just use
> simond> top (1) and will say CPU0 for the state when it's on the first cpu and CPU1
> simond> for the 2nd.
>
> Thanks for the quick response. I hope you're also running FreeBSD. When I run 'top' all it
> tells me is CPU status, no CPU0 or CPU1

I am running FreeBSD, yes, it's actually the -STABLE branch as of last week on thursday.
After looking at /usr/src/usr.bin/top/machine.c it does indeed print CPU%d.

> And I think/believe I am booting an SMP kernel

You definitely are running in SMP mode, you can tell by the "SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!"
line in the dmesg.

--
Simon Dick					simond@irrelevant.org
"Why do I get this urge to go bowling everytime I see Tux?"