Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 12:27:04 -0400
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi+thun@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-ports@freebsd.org" <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: etoile ports dropped for strange reason (Re: freebsd-ports Digest, Vol 474, Issue 7)

On 21.06.2012 11:37, Wesley Shields wrote:
> The release in our ports tree is not recommended upstream anymore.
> Quoting the upstream webpage: "Take note they [old releases] won't
> usually work with recent LLVM and GNUstep releases."
Do we have these recent LLVM and GNUstep releases in the tree already?
> As the port is unmaintained and the version in our tree is not
> recommended for use anymore it was deprecated. Sure, the reason could be
> more clear. I will commit an update that reflects that to make it more
> clear.
>
> If you would like to see this port remain in the tree I recommend
> adopting it and keeping it in working order (first step is to update it
> to a recommended release).
The chance of a new maintainer stepping up may increase, if the "deprecation"
message states something like "Update to a new release is required"... And, of
course, a more generous expiration time would be needed. These ports are a legion...

Yours,

    -mi