Date:      Thu, 22 Apr 1999 15:23:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Patrick Seal <patseal@hyperhost.net>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard drive failure

Everything was gone Includinng fdisk info and diskinfo stuff.  One
interesting tidbit though:

patseal@foobar{51}# fdisk
******* Working on device /dev/rwd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=16383 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=16383 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 16514001 (8063 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 15
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

Before I refdisk'd the drive the :
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 16514001 (8063 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 63/ head 15

stuff was under partition 4 (probably a bit different though).  Maybe
that's why I was having all the trouble. Somehow all the drive info had
shifted or was corrupt or something.

I guess that the only left to do is to just guess the sizes of /usr and
/var and swap.  Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

Patrick Seal                        |"Microsoft isn't evil, they just make
<patseal@hyperhost.net>             |   really crappy operating systems."
Hyperhost - http://www.hyperhost.net| -Linus Torvalds
hosting and Design

http://www.freebsd.org - http://www.linux.org