Date:      Sat, 24 Aug 1996 11:53:32 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
Cc:        "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@freebsd.org>, scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PR 1201

On Fri, 23 Aug 1996 21:20:21 +0200 (MET DST)
 Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

 > Hmm, but scanning back through 2 years worth of NCR related
 > mail messages, I don't see a single message that points out
 > a problem with multiple LUNs (and I know of several people
 > who successfully connected multi-LUN devices).

Ok, let me give a little more info...

I wrote the "ch" driver under NetBSD/i386 (because I'm a NetBSD user, and
am more familiar with NetBSD in general).  The system I did the work on
had an Adaptec 1742 on it.  After some testing, working out the kinks, I
ported the driver to the target system: FreeBSD 2.1-STABLE (don't recall
the exact timestamp).

This, of course, required the quirk entries for the MI code to deal with
the additional LUNs.  The FreeBSD devel system had an NCR53c810 in it.
Everything was in order, and the "ch" still wasn't found.  The only idea
I had left was "NCR driver".  Looking at the command entry point, there
was a "shortcut" that immediately returned if some max LUN value was
exceeded.  This max LUN value was set to 0.

So, I changed it to 1 to get the "ch" driver to work.

Well, that didn't work, either.  "command aborted" was the result of
every command sent to the changer.  (I see this with certain models of HP
disk drives hooked up to NCR53c810s, too.)

Err, that's not strictly true... I was able to do the inquiry command,
and mode sense.  The rest lost.

Frustrated, I hooked the changer up to the production system, which has
an Adaptec 2940 in it.  *ding*  All works fine.

So, I punted trying to figure out why the NCR driver was losing.  It
simply wasn't an issue for me :-)  ...and still isn't.  I use that driver
under NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/sparc, both of which don't have NCR53c8xx
controllers in them... :-)

Ciao.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --