Date:      Thu, 8 Jun 2000 21:59:02 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        gallatin@cs.duke.edu (Andrew Gallatin), alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nullfs broken on alpha?

Matthew Jacob writes:
> On Thu, 8 Jun 2000, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > Matthew Jacob writes:
> >  >
> >  > I was building in a nullfs mounted on top of an NFS directory when this
> >  > happened. Sigh, not much info to go on.... Anyone seen anything similar?
> >
> > >From the i386 LINT:
> >
> > # NB: The NULL, PORTAL, UMAP and UNION filesystems are known to be
> > # buggy, and WILL panic your system if you attempt to do anything with
> > # them.  They are included here as an incentive for some enterprising
> > # soul to sit down and fix them.
>
> Grump. I thought was from 1997. I guess nobody's been enterprising.

They work on my machines.  I could maybe wrap up the 20M of diffs
I've made to FreeBSD since 1998 or so in a month or two, if you
would actually use them.  I've had no luck getting them into FreeBSD
because to break them up into small enough chunks removes any obvious
reason for needing the changes (i.e. when they are chunked small
enough, they appear gratuitous until you add enough of them together
that they are no longer chunked small enough).

I have to say that for net booting FreeBSD off of old machines that
can't support 32 bit major/minor numbers, nothing beats a working
version of Julian's devfs.

Remind me to buy a laptop, and I'll bring a copy of my system into
one of the user group meetings some time.  As a bonus, I'll show
you quotas working on msdosfs and ext2fs as a VFS stacking layer...

8-p.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---