Date:      Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:37:27 EDT
From:      Gaertk@aol.com
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   newbie installing from MSDOS partition

I downloaded everything except packages/ from ftp.freebsd.org/pub/releases/i386/4.0-RELEASE onto a Win95 hard drive, and then after a lot of copying and juggling of drives, I finally got it onto a DOS 5.0 formatted drive that I'm using as primary slave in my freebsd comp.  The install went fine until the XFree86 part, where I got a bunch of errors about not finding the files in the PC98-Servers/ directory.  It would have been nice if sysinstall looked for pc98-ser/ or pc98-s~1/ since I did tell it I was using a dos partition.  How do I install those things now?  There's no install.sh script or anything.  And how do I configure my windows manager?  twm tells me it can't open display "".

How do I mount my dos drive permanently?  Do I need to do anything besides adding a line to /etc/fstab?  And what values should I use for Dump and Pass#?  And is there any way of finding out which of the 737 things in /dev are actually valid?  I'd also like to use my floppy drive for transferring files between this computer and my windows comp; is there any way to semi-permanently mount the floppy drive?  Or should I write a set-uid script to do it?

Konrad Gaertner