Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 00:29:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Kris Kirby <kris@catonic.net>
To:        David Scheidt <dscheidt@enteract.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Quiet cpu fans

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, David Scheidt wrote:

> My solution at home was to have a diskless 486, only needs a power supply fan, on my
> desk, and the real machine in another room.  It died, so I have the dual CPU
> box on the desk at home, with two cpu fans, a powersupply fan, a case fan, a
> fan in an ISA slot, and a fan on a disk drive, fans in the external disk
> box, CDR, and tape drives.  It drives me absolutely nuts.

Turn up your music or start wearing earplugs. I actually take advantage of
the noise though. Most of my machines do not have power LEDs because I've
cut the connectors down the middle and use them for SCSI. (These machines
are also equip'd with IDE, which is used, or a second SCSI card.)

Besides, real machines don't need idiot light, because they are never off.

-----
<kris@nospam.catonic.net>   |