Date:      Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:34:41 -0300
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Adrian Chadd" <adrian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Communicating with the public (was Re: Possibility for FreeBSD 4.11 Extended Support)

On Friday 22 December 2006 10:13, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> On 22/12/06, Bill Moran <wmoran@collaborativefusion.com> wrote:
> > I could be wrong, but I get the impression that this whole EOL issue wi=
th
> > 4.x is partly a result of not reminding people when the EOL date for 4.x
> > is every 5 minutes.  The result is that it's just hitting home for a lot
> > of people now that it's the 11th hour.
>
> The trouble Squid had was its push to a new codebase (2.5 -> 3.0)
> without adequately considering what users wanted. After all, if users
> don't get any of what they want then there's probably no chance of any
> paid work out of it.. Users cried for new features but with the
> stability of the existing codebase. In the end the developers caved
> and provided Squid-2.6 which seems to have begun reinvigorating the
> project somewhat.

this is Interesting ...

you said in your former mail:

> (I have the same problem with the Squid project. Lots of people want
> Squid to do everything, noone's willing to hire programmers to fix up
> Squid to do these things and release the work back to the public. Then
> people complain that Squid doesn't have 21st century features. Grr.
> Sometimes I think we in the Squid project need better PR..)

In my opinion squid today is off the track.

=46irstable seems that the squid project is mostly concerned about beeing a=
=20
proxy-server for small companies, doing nat and authentication and all this=
=20
nasty stuff

If you target this market there is indeed *NO* money, people hooking =20
corporate network on ADSL are looking for freestuff or cheapstuff.=20

squid-project forgot where the money is: in cache

since the trend with PtP application does not help at all squid should look=
=20
still deeper into cache performance because that is what people are willed =
to=20
spend money in.

but what does happen? this issues regarding squid's cache are turned down (=
on=20
squid mlists) and are ignored. coss and aufs on freebsd does not give=20
performance like diskd but nobody fixed this stupid cache-emptying problem.=
=20
Overall Freebsd problems are not taken serious and squid-chief seems to be=
=20
concerend about linux only.

so now I come back to my "..." at the top, interesting because even if you =
did=20
what users wanted you didn't got the results you wanted. So I guess you did=
=20
hear the wrong thing or you did hear the wrong people right? Or the product=
=20
was not on the right track.

What squid needs in my opinion is a kind of fork with a stripped real=20
cache-server without any proxy enhancements and targetting the real market=
=20
for it.  But that is only my opinion.

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o