Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:25:03 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Dan Moschuk <dan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@info.iet.unipi.it>, multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: any good tool to cut&paste audio mp3's ?

Dan Moschuk wrote:

> | Hi,
> | does anyone know of some good tool to do simple editing of
> | autio mp3's, such as cutting and pasting segments, splitting
> | long recordings into components, etc ?
> |
> | Don't need sophisticated GUI, maybe even a simple command line
> | interface would do... as long as i can address frames in a dd-like
> | fashion...
>
> You'd have much better luck finding a utility like this that works on .wav
> files and converting the mp3 over to edit it.

Most likely he was trying to avoid reencoding the mp3.

Honestly, if you just want to have really simple access like above under
FreeBSD (there are some rather fancy tools under Windows that can do
this,
VirtualDub for instance), you are probably going to have to write it
yourself.
The good news is that it is pretty easy to do.  If your mp3 is CBR, you
can
even use dd and xxd (or od) to figure out the size of each frame.

One time I just cut an mp3 with dd, then opened it up in an hex editor
and
deleted everyting up to the first magic number (fffb IIRC).

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer