Date:      Sat, 10 Dec 2005 04:46:05 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        DMVN <dmvn@mccme.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail archives: e-mail addresses protection

On 2005-12-09 10:44, DMVN <dmvn@mccme.ru> wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> I'v just dicovered that all FreeBSD mail archives are absolutely free
> to access from WWW. These letters contain real e-mail addresses, so
> they can be easily captured by spam robots and then used to send ads.
> That's not good at all, I think. So I recommend to store e-mails in
> slightly crypted way, like, for example,
>
> user [at] subdomain [dot] domain
>
> Our russian webmasters often use such tricks and achived a great
> success in the battles with spamers.

Are you sure this really helps?

I mean, how difficult is it to use something like this in an automated
manner?  For instance:

% flame:/home/keramida$ sed -E \
%     -e 's/[[:space:]]*[^[:alpha:]]at[^[:alpha:]][[:space:]]*/@/' \
%     -e 's/[[:space:]]*[^[:alpha:]](dot|\.)[^[:alpha:]][[:space:]]/./g' \
%     <<EOF
% user [at] subdomain [dot] domain
% EOF
% user@subdomain.domain