Date:      4 Mar 2003 00:17:02 -0000
From:      oremanj@www.get-linux.org
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DVD burner suggestions

[Sorry - forgot to CC the list...]

> For some backups at work, I'm thinking of getting a DVD burner.  I was
> looking at the Sony dru500a, since its compatible with all the various
> dvd media out there.  Has anyone had any luck/experience with this drive
> (or any dvd burner)?

I have the Sony DRU500a drive (internal IDE version).  It works well:
        $ mkisofs -r -o dvd.iso /some/large/tree/no/bigger/than/4.4g
        [snip]
        ## You might not need to do the next command more than once
        ## per DVD. Substitute dvd-rw for dvd+rw if you're using that.
        $ burncd -F -f /dev/acd0 format dvd+rw
        $ burncd -f /dev/acd0 dvdrw dvd.iso
You might need to be root for those burncd commands; I'm not sure.
I think there's a cdrecord look-alike called dvdrecord, but I have no
experience with it. I'm not sure what the commands look like if you're
using DVD-R or DVD+R, but I assume something like `burncd -f /dev/acd0
data dvd.iso fixate' would work.

DVD+RW and DVD-RW work great for backups. For example, `dump 0uf
/path/with/big/space/dump_of_root.dump /' and burn it like an ISO. To
restore, `cd / && restore rf /dev/acd0' -- man restore for details.

I also had good experience just making an ISO of a directory (/usr/local
for example). To fit more than one of these on a DVD, you can do `mkisofs
-graft-points etc=etc var=var usr/local=usr_local usr/home=home' from the
root directory (this example makes an ISO of /etc, /var, /usr/local, and
/home and puts each one in a separate directory on the ISO.) Then `burncd
... dvdrw backup.iso'.

Here's a good backup command to get you started:
        # cd / &&
        > mkisofs -graft-points usr/local=usr-local usr/home=usr-home \
        > var=var etc=etc -o usr/backup/DVD.current.iso &&
        > burncd -F -f /dev/acd0 format dvd+rw &&
        > burncd -s max -f /dev/acd0 usr/backup/DVD.current.iso &&
        > mv usr/backup/DVD.current.iso \
        > usr/backup/DVD.`date +%m-%d-%y`.iso &&
        > echo "*** Backup Done! ***"
This assumes that you have a DVD+RW in the drive, that the drive is
/dev/acd0, and that you want to back up /usr/local, /usr/home, /var, and
/etc. Depending on your setup, this may not all fit on one DVD.
As always, YMMV.

> I found only a few hints on the net, including:
> http://www.whiterose.net/~mrpink/freebsd/dvdr.php
>
> but it seems like its a bit of a hack.
>
> I'm running 5.0 release on a box with both scsi and ide capability.

I would get the IDE one: that's the only one I have experience with. I
don't know about SCSI. 5.0-release has the capability right out of the
box. (Note that with IDE you can emulate SCSI, if you have a program that
wants it.)

/usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs is the only port you'll need.

> thanks in advance,
> Brian

Hope this helps,
Josh