Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 02:46:11 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        jmcla@ocala.cs.miami.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet and CAP

>I've tried using the fxp0 (Intel 100 Base-T), but it craps out if
>network traffic gets too high.  I couldn't keep it on the network for
>more than 30 minutes at a time.  I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

   I think what is really happening is that you're getting some garbage from
your cabling or possibly from your hub/switch. There is a bug in the "rev 1"
chips that causes the receiver to go dead if the IFS is too short (or the
preamble contains garbage). I'm using the Pro/100B in wcarchive, and we do
about 2.5MBytes/sec sustained (with higher peaks) for most of the day, and
I've never had a glitch. I've also done extensive stress testing here (I have
Pro/100B's in all of the machines here), and except when I mess around with
the cables, I've never seen a failure. The bug is supposed to be fixed in
the next rev of the chip; I have a couple of the next-rev cards here, but
I haven't had a chance to plug them in yet.

-DG

David Greenman