Date:      Fri, 07 Jun 1996 06:06:52 -0700
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Will Brown <ewb@zns.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MD5 Crack code

  From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
  <<On Mon, 3 Jun 1996 18:45:36 -0400 (EDT), Will Brown <ewb@zns.net> said:

  The IETF is developing a follow-on to S/Key called ``OTP''.  I don't
  know what state it is in right now, but I would hope that they are
  specifying standard mechanisms to communicate this information over
  TELNET and FTP connections.

Yes, it's still, IMO, kludgy (i.e. you have to look for the right
strings, they're now just delimited with []'s as in [98 pr84849
required]) but the good news is they allow the use of SHA or MD5
in addition to the old MD4 in s/key.

(nb: I dislike SHA for the same paranoid reasons I dislike 1-DES).

I'd like opinions from folks about the switch to OTP.  It's where
we "should" be going,  but there are a lot of utilities out there
(such as Fetch for the Macintosh and our own tools) that finally
understand and handle s/key properly, as well as windows/macos
s/key calculators, and I really don't want to pull the rug out from
under anyone.

Unfortunately, because the mechanisms are so similar, but a "wee
bit" different, it's really a choice of using one or the other
unless someone wants to invest a LOT of work.