Date:      Sun, 24 Apr 2005 23:09:16 +0100
From:      Ajurna <ajurna@gmail.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: region code in cdrecord

On 4/24/05, Chuck Robey <chuckr@chuckr.org> wrote:
>=20
> Tim Kientzle wrote:
> > Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:

> >> Just unlock your player. Google should provide you with the correct
> >> procedure.
> >

> > With cheap DVD players down to about $50, just buy another
> > player and set it to Region 2.
>=20
> There are so many bad assumptions here!
>=20
> bad#1: that all dvd players come with secret decoder rings to change
> their region code.
>=20
> bad#2: that ANY of them do. A very small amount of dvd players have the
> ability to add patches to them, these all (in every case) need you to
> run Windows code to get these patches installed, and I don't run
> Windows, anywhere, anytime.
>=20
> bad#3: that I have the time and willingness to talk my good friend, the
> really truly stubborn one who doesn't' know computers so well, that his
> dvd player should change. He and I are family, and I just need to
> present him with clean copy. This should be a software thing, not
> hardware, just so I don't need to argue with my friend over that.
>=20
> I just spent a LOT of unfun time on google over this. I would rather
> spend days fixing cdrecord than minutes on the hardware, or telling
> folks who I don't want to boot Windows
>=20
> >
> > Tim
> >
>=20
"
>=20
the region code is not a number in the header that says 1 or 2 it is part o=
f=20
an encryption system that is put on dvds in order to stop people from=20
duplicating them. however this encryption system is incredibly bad because=
=20
it is so easy to break.

what you need to do is decrypt it completly. so then you have the vob files=
=20
with no regioning or css so that you can burn it to a dvd disc with no=20
region. this will be able to play in your dvd player. i have yet to come=20
accross a dvd burner that can burn a dvd with css and regioning but if it=
=20
plays and it has no region i dont think you have a problem. :D