Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:07:34 +0800
From:      Meowthink <meowthink@gmail.com>
To:        Mitchell <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ryzen Build Problem

Hi frank,

On 8/27/18, Mitchell <mitchell@wyatt672earp.force9.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi Meowthink:
>
> I'm planning a Home Build, and I came across an issue which might apply
> to your design.
>
> Some AMD CPUs are designed for Over-Clocking automatically. But when I
> investigated Memory Compatibility I saw that some Memory wasn't.

Many Intel CPUs are turbo boost enabled, also. I think It's safe to
trust these designs. They'll communicate to memory at a steady clock
rate, which will provide by SPD chips on DIMMs.

Ryzens are known to have compatible issues with memories. An easier
way is to choose a module which is in the qualified list, "QVL".

> The "AMD Ryzen 5 2400G" looks like it can Over-Clock itself when it
> feels safe to do so.
>
> But the "Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 EUDIMM CL17" seems to be classified as
> Server Memory, which could mean it's designed for a single speed. I
> couldn't find more details about Crucial Memory Over-Clocking.
>
> The Crucial Web Pages do feature a Help Facility which might enable you
> to check further if you input all your system details.

That's a mistake months ago. What I'd care about is ECC.
I knew Ryzens (1x00) are ECC enabled. Then I was mistaken checking out
mobo's specification as Asrock didn't mention Raven Ridges (2x00G) at
that time. I thought my build with 2400G will got ECC, but sadly not.
Now Asrock say these on their website:

- AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Raven Ridge) support DDR4
3200+(OC)/2933(OC)/2667/2400/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

*For Ryzen Series CPUs (Raven Ridge), ECC is only supported with PRO CPUs.

In the end I got my system run, but without ECC enabled.

> I'm no expert here. This will be my first Home Build attempt and I
> haven't even started yet. You probably need a 2nd and 3rd opinion on
> this topic. I'm just hoping my contribution will prompt further comments
> from FreeBSD people with more know-how than I've got.
>
> Yours truly: Frank Mitchell

You are welcome.

Cheers,
meowthink