Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 1995 13:44:12 +0000
From:      Neil Clark <nbc@cs.strath.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Catastrophic Failure!

In message <12487.816008170@time.cdrom.com>you write:
>> I'm running
>> the  2.1.0-951026-SNAP snapshot kernel on top of a 2.0.5 release, so
>> perhaps this has something to do with it?
>
>Ooh!  Mixed binaries!  Bad news!

Hmmm. I thought it all seemed too simple ;-)

>I really would load the latest snapshot (or wait for 2.1) and unify
>the world.  Heisenberg visits far less frequently that way - take it
>from one who knows! :-)

I was thinking about grabbing the latest snap and doing a "make world",
but decided to just grab the kernel and see what happened. It's worked
pretty well for the most part. My urgency is called for by the desire to
get my ATAPI cd-rom (a Toshiba XM-5302B) working. It seems to be *nearly*
there (I've patched MAKEDEV and all that), but not quite. Maybe a make
world will sort the obstinate swine out...

Making the world from the latest snap is beginning to sound *incredibly*
tempting, although perhaps a little wasteful of time in light of the
imminent "proper" release, but my impatience knows no bounds!

>Also, this may have been a bug in your XFree86 server (which works
>better for some cards than others).

I have a Diamond Stealth DRAM 64.

>Fortunately, for most cards the server is pretty good and this kinda
>thing doesn't happen.  Also, there are the $99 Xaccel servers (one of
>which I use - I bought 5 copies!) which pretty much just run like
>tops.

I didn't know one could *buy* X servers for FreeBSD. Do they sell a lot?
Presumably they are easier to set up or something than the standard (free)
ones?

I'm beginning to think my crash was just "one of these things." Netscape
hung the X server on a SparcStation here recently as well, but didn't crash
the machine; maybe it was just a fatal combination of flaky netscape + mixed
binaries + administrative incompetence on my part? I guess we'll never know ;-)

Neil