Date:      Mon, 24 Feb 2003 18:44:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Darren Henderson <darren@nighttide.net>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: when are unsolicited sales okay?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> Can an unsolicited sales pitch ever be appropriate?

Never. Period.

That does not preclude businesses with whom you have a on going
relationship with sending you mails if you give the OK, but the

> Some people and businesses don't like door-to-door sales. (I don't mind
> the very infrequent religious, chiropractic or vote-seeker coming to my
> door.)

Most of us will tolerate quite a bit until it becomes intrusive. In most
communities there is a brake on door-to-door solicitations - you usually
are required to at least tell them you are going to be in the area doing
x, y or z. We don't get many door to door callers but it #$@#$ me off
every time one shows up - especially the religious types, (talk about
presumptuous and insulting).

> I usually don't care about the tens of sales letters I receive each week;
> sometimes I receive something interesting.  I do care that I waste some
> time recycling. And I do mind that natural resources are probably being
> wasted.

SPAM is intrusive - for the most part junk mail is not - and you don't
have to pay to have it delivered. Key concepts that most spamers do not
recognize (actually I think they do but just don't care).

> I don't receive unsolicited faxes anymore. But a few years ago, I used to

We finally had to shut down my wife's fax line - dozens of pages of cruise
ship, toner ads, etc. You can't get the phone company interested and while
we at one time almost had the government on they either lost interest or
we were cast adrift in the bureaucracy.

> Anyways, when are unsolicited sales okay?

Never.