Date:      Fri, 23 Nov 2012 23:14:43 +0100 (CET)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        julian@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RME audio card user new to FreeBSD

In article <50AFD823.2050203@freebsd.org> you write:
>On 11/23/12 6:31 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-11-23 at 13:16 +0000, Chris Rees wrote:
>>> Well, you can't just install onto a Linux partition, is that what you
>>> mean?
>> Hi Chris :)
>>
>> my machine is a Linux only multi-boot PC, among others I've got Arch
>> Linux and Ubuntu installed. There are several free logical partitions on
>> my 2 HDDs (no RAID, no LVM), but only one primary partition on each
>> drive. Both primary partitions aren't empty. The primary partition of
>> the first drive contains backups only, unfortunately non of the free
>> logical drives is large enough to move the data.
>>
>> If needed I'll shrink one logical and increase another logical partition
>> and than move the data from the primary partition to this logical one.
>> This will result in /dev/sda1 (as Linux does call it) free for FreeBSD,
>> but dose cause a lot of work.
>>
>> I wonder what bootloader to use to boot into FreeBSD and the different
>> Linux kernels and what file system to use for this partition.
>
>Freebsd can only boo from a primary partition, ut yu say that you have
>1/ space and 2/ only one primary partition.
>this means that probably you have room in the partition map to add
>another primary partition and point it at the space that is currently
>taken up by one of your logical (non primary) partitions.
>
>send a copy of the output of 'fdisk.... <p>'
>
>in other words enter fdisk /dev/sda     and then type 'p' to  print
>out the
>current partition map.
>You may just be able to rename them while leaving them the same on the
>drive.
>
>Julian

Btw there is another solution to this problem:  while loader(8)
cannot boot from 'extended' slices, grub2 actually can if you
tell it to load kernel and klds itself instead of chainloading
loader.  Only there is a bug preventing 9.1/amd64 and later kernels
from starting so you either need to add a patch to grub 2.00 or use
grub bzr.  The patch I mirrored here:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/tmp/grub2-paste_180121.patch

 Here is an example to have grub2 load kernel and klds itself:

	http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-multimedia/2011-March/011828.html

(use 'set root=(hd0,5)' etc instead of 'set root=(hd0,1)' for an
extended slice.)

 PR to update the sysutils/grub2 port to 2.00 + bugfix:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=ports/170417

(tho I atually have debian Linux on that box too and just installed
grub 2.00 manually there with the patch.)

 HTH, :)
	Juergen