Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 10:36:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Curt Sampson <cjs@portal.ca>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        David Seifert <seifert@sequent.com>, alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PALcode

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, Terry Lambert wrote:

> I'm not married to ARC; I'd be just as happy with any other PALcode
> that spanned the entire product line and didn't cost extra to obtain.
> Perhaps the VMS PAL code would be a good fit....

Terry, I really think you should grab a copy of the _Alpha AXP
Architecture Reference Manual_ and look at the PALcode descriptions
to see what it does. I wouldn't care to make a definitive comment
one way or the other on the feasibility of something like this,
but the extent to which the PALcode you use affects your OS internal
structures and works is surprisingly large. PALcode covers not only
how you do your VM structure, but your interrupt and process
structures as well. (The actual context switch between two processes
is performed by PALcode, not OS code, for example.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@portal.ca>  604-257-9400    De gustibus, aut bene aut nihil.
Any opinions expressed are mine and mine alone.