Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:10:39 +0100
From:      Tomas Palfi <tpalfi@phoenixmedical.co.uk>
To:        "'freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   telnet

hi

when telneting my server, the server waits for a relatively long time (about
20s) before it connects me.  it used to work fine and instantly untill i
have tried to ftp particular library sites.  it didn't connect me and i
HUPed the sockets that were trying to connect with kill command (silly thing
to do). i've checked the inetd.conf file and the entry for telnet is

telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/libexec/telnetd    telnetd

in fact i haven't made any changes to this file. when checking sockstat -4
for ip-v4 it shows that:

USER     COMMAND    PID   FD PROTO  LOCAL ADDRESS         FOREIGN ADDRESS
root     telnetd    332    0 tcp4   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:23
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1173
root     telnetd    332    1 tcp4   xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:23
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:1173
and the rest for other sock's

i am able to connect but why it takes such a long time??

is it something to do with the nowait and listening on that port?

would anyone know please
thank you

--
Tomas Palfi