Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 1997 15:09:08 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Udo Wolter <uwp@ukrv.de>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: snd970814.tgz

Hi !

I tried the sound-patch (snd970814.tgz) with no success. I'm using a
Toshiba Tecra 510CDT Notebook which should have a CS4232 (Win95 says so).
This card is in a double mode from the BIOS. It uses only one IRQ (normally
IRQ 5) for both WSS (I think it's the same as MSS) and SBPro. I can choose
between different DMA-Channels for recording & playing audio or
simply using 1 channel for both. The WSS is configured at 0x534, the SBPro
is configured at 0x220, both have IRQ 5.

When I'm using the line:

device pcm0     at isa ? port ? tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0 vector pcmintr

the card comes up as SBPro. I can't play anything with it. I tried to
play MPEG-Audio with 16 bit with no success. After this I tried to change
them via sox to 8 bit but the same result: just a low continuing toot-tone.

When I'm using the line:

device pcm0     at isa ? port 0x534 tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0 vector pcmintr

the system hangs at boot time. It probes the pcm device but then just hangs.

I also tried

device pcm0     at isa ? port 0x534 tty irq 5 drq 1 flags 0x13 vector pcmintr

It doesn't hang but after probing it goes on with the message:

pcm0 not found at 0x534

By the way, the probing message seems also very strange:

pcm0 at 0x 534 irq 5 drq 1 mem 0x       0 flag s 0x      13 en 1 confl 0

So, what can I do to play MPEG-Audio with 16 bit directly on this card ?
Or is it impossible with this code ?

Thanx & Bye,
		Udo
--