Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 2013 19:59:39 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Robert Millan <rmh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libutil in Debian

--SE5owWcayr8rNfUr

On Tue, Jul 09, 2013 at 05:05:00PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> Hi Gleb,
>=20
> 2013/7/9 Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@freebsd.org>:
> > With all respect to GNU and Debian the libutil in BSD appeared in 1988,
> > and the fact that GNU has taken that name in 1996 isn't reason for BSD
> > to change name.
>=20
> Thanks for pointing this out.
>=20
> Please note that my request is only based on practical grounds. It
> shouldn't be interpreted as implying endorsement on Glibc's use of
> libutil name.
>=20
> Historically, Glibc maintainer has been very difficult to deal with.
> This has affected non-Linux ports of Glibc as well. In contrast,
> FreeBSD community may or may not agree with proposals but is at least
> open to discuss things. This (rather than "fairness") is the reason I
> try to work things out here and not there.
>=20
> Please take it as a compliment rather than as offence :-)
>=20
> > Also, FreeBSD is just one of the BSD descendants, and all of them share
> > the libutil.
>=20
> So, I take it that the change I'm proposing could have disruptive effects.
>=20
> I do think there are long-term advantages for FreeBSD and the other
> BSD descendants in making it easy for their APIs to be deployed
> elsewhere. I mean, in terms of portability.
>=20
> However I'm clearly biased so I'd rather not insist on this. I leave
> it for you to judge.

Renaming the libutil would break the ABI of the base system.
If you are introducing new interfaces to the other systems, you
can use a library name you find suitable.  But for the library
which is linked with significant number of existing binaries,
rename is not an easy option.

--SE5owWcayr8rNfUr

--SE5owWcayr8rNfUr--