Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:19:37 -0600
From:      "Jay Austad" <austad@marketwatch.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: MP3 tools

XMMS should be in the ports tree.  It's just like winamp.

You might wanna check out Ogg Vorbis also.  It should be in the ports
tree, but you can find info at http://www.vorbis.com.  The quality is
much much better than MP3, better stereo separation, cleaner lows and
highs too.  And it's about the same filesize.  XMMS will play Vorbis
also.  I think the latest version of LAME will do vorbis encoding
instead of MP3 if you pass it a certain option.

Jay