Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 2002 21:23:41 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <smkelly@zombie.org>
To:        "Joel M. Baldwin" <qumqats@outel.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why is my -current system Hard Locking?

On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 07:56:49PM -0800, Joel M. Baldwin wrote:
> I'm getting quite frustrated with -current.  I've been running it
> for years and had relatively few problems.  However for quite some
> time now I've had a problem with Hard Locks.  By Hard Lock I mean
> that the system doesn't respond to ether traffic, the keyboard
> doesn't respond, the capslock, numlock, and scroll lock keys do
> nothing, the corresponding LEDs don't light, and ctrl/alt/del
> doesn't reboot the system.  The only out is to hit reset.  I
> don't think this is related to the X FP problem ( although I am
> running X11 ).  There have been many times when I'd walk in the
> morning and find the system had been down for hours.  As I
> understand the X FP problem, it is a transient that shouldn't take
> the system down all night.

I just came across this problem for the first time on my -CURRENT from Wed
Oct 30. I was in the middle of reading a message in mutt (my MUA) on the
console and the system just froze. I was also cvsup'ing ports on another
vty at the time. There was no way to get a dump or backtrace. Nothing,
including networking, was responding.

Here are a few things you might want to try:
1. Check your syslog to get an estimate of when the machine dies. Is it
   during high disk activity? Mine did it during a ports cvsup. Could it be
   doing it in relation to the /etc/security stuff? Does it happen around
   the same times every day?
2. Build a kernel with GDB_REMOTE_CHAT and try a remote gdb session against
   the kernel? Not sure how much information this will provide, since the
   machine will most likely stop responding to the remote gdb.
3. Figure out when the problem started happening for the first time and see
   what was commit'd around then.

Incidentally, I've also noticed that my machine freezes on reboots. When I
panic or when I issue a system reboot, my kernel never actually manages to
reboot the system. It hardlocks after showing the system uptime. I've even
tried turning ACPI off in the BIOS and it still does it.

My boot messages here: http://www.zombie.org/edgemaster.dmesg
My kernel config here: http://www.zombie.org/edgemaster.kernel

--
Sean Kelly         | PGP KeyID: 77042C7B
smkelly@zombie.org | http://www.zombie.org