Date:      Fri, 22 Jun 2012 22:30:33 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erich@alogreentechnologies.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Cc:        "G. Nikiforov" <g_nikiforov@hotmail.com>
Subject:   Re: xorg widescreen resolution problem

Hi,

On Friday 22 June 2012 20:05:13 G. Nikiforov wrote:

> I've been using Linux for several years, but finally decided to give
> FreeBSD a try. I just installed FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 on a Samsung RV520

it seems to me that you will need Intel KMS support for this machine to enjoy
the full screen resolution.

It is available for 9.0 since a few days. It would require you to download the
latest sources, compile them and install the kernel with this support.

http://wiki.freebsd.org/Intel_GPU

will tell you more.

> I also tried to search the forums, however couldn't find any solution that
> worked for me now matter how I tweaked the configuration file.

I do not wonder. I also have a machine which needed Intel KMS to get the full
functionality out of it.

As an alternative, you could install PCBSD. For unknown reasons they manage to
get the full resolution via the VESA driver.

PCBSD is a FreeBSD 9.0 with a different installer.

You can move to 100% FreeBSD at any time after the installation..

Erich