Date:      Thu, 7 May 2009 22:24:57 +0100 (BST)
From:      "Martin Smith" <martinsm@gn.apc.org>
To:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   gnome on current questions

I have installed a current system, updated to about a week ago and built
from source gnome2, which after sorting out a couple glitches is now
installed, but there seem to be a few anomalies and I am wondering whether
these are due to it being current rather than stable, or has something
wierd happened to my installation. I did think the compile was pretty
quick, but maybe I wrongly remembered how long it took last time I did it,
about a year ago.

GDM does not appear like the gdm I am used to seeing, more like a somewhat
slicker version of xdm from about 8 years ago, and it allows root logins
by default, which I am certain gdm never did. It offers the possibility to
set up a keyboard and language, but actually does not, and appears as a
small box against what is the green default desktop background

There is no option to shut down or restart from the system menu on the
desktop, only to log out.

None of the items in the system > administration menu are functional, they
all claim not be compatible with the operating system I am running,
listing fbsd up to 7 only.

So is this par for the course with current or has something gone awfully
wrong with my installation?

Any comment most welcome

--
Martin