Date:      Thu, 29 Feb 1996 07:51:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to use the sup'd CVS tree?

I have now sup'd the cvs tree and have what looks like the -current
release, and I can do "cvs gets", etc, locally.  But I don't
understand the process for working in -current and getting patches
for -stable for local test.

0. (Basic assertion I think is correct) There is no "cvs awareness"
in sup, and sup will simply update my sup tree to match what is on freefall.

1. How do I "sup" again?  I assume most info is kept in the local
working directory, so if all I have is locally checked out modules
I can go ahead and "sup cvs" when I want, and it is only when I
want to commit my changes that I have to be careful.

2. Do I commit back on freefall and then get my updates in the next
sup?

3. How do I do local revision control, in conjunction with question
1? If I'm doing extensive work can I create a local branch so that
I can keep local changes under revision control without having
"sup" step on me?  I don't see how this would play with assertion 0
without creating branches back on freefall.

D. Where is -stable?  Is it a branch somewhere in what I got in
"sup cvs"?

5. Am I on the right track?

I looked around on freefall and don't see these questions answered.

--
Peter Dufault               Real-Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936