Date:      Tue, 12 Jun 2012 19:06:29 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mark Felder <feld@feld.me>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Robert Bonomi <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com>
Subject:   Re: Newbie question: Why aren't my cron jobs running?

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 08:29:02 -0500, Mark Felder wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 00:06:21 -0500, Robert Bonomi
> <bonomi@mail.r-bonomi.com> wrote:
>
> > Comment: using a leading zero on the numeric fields is a BAD IDEA(tm) --
> > you
> > are *strongly* encocuraged to remove them.  Yes, that means numbers will
> > not
> > be column aligned, but it is a small price to pay to avoid the
> > hair-tearing
> > that =will= ensue when using it bites you.
>
> Any other info on this? I've never heard of this before and I've never
> seen an issue using leading zeroes on the minutes value.

There are some "specific interpretations" that _may_ be
interpreted according to the C rules, e. g. prefix 0x-
for hexadecimal or 08- for octal notation. For example,
083 != 83, just as 0x83 != 83. As it has been mentioned,
spaces also have a significant meaning in crontabs, so
they cannot be used everywhere to align data columns.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany