Date:      Tue, 26 Jan 99 08:53:16 -0500
From:      FreeBSD Questions <freebsd@netsys.hn>
To:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Apache Proxy Caching Best Configuration

-- [ From: FreeBSD Questions * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Hello people. I'm sorry to askthis here but I know that a lot of you use
Apache Web Server and maybe the proxy caching module also.

My question is about the best configuration settings for the caching
capabilities of the proxy module. We are planning to put a FreeBSD 2.2.8
server with Apache 1.3.4 and a 6GB HD just to work as a Web Caching server.
We have been testing it and works great, besides it takes some time without
showing any progress in your browser and suddenly the whole page appears.

My actual settings in httpd.conf are:

ProxyVia On
CacheRoot /usr/home/proxyman/apache_1.3.4/proxy
CacheSize 100000
CacheGcInterval 4
CacheMaxExpire 12
CacheLastModifiedFactor 0.1
CacheDefaultExpire 1
ProxyReceiveBufferSize 2048

Question 1. Is there a fine tuning for these settings?

Question 2. Do you think is worth to have a Web Caching Server?

Question 3. Does FreeBSD 2.2.8 supports SCSI-3 or ATA (UltraDMA) Hard Disks?

Question 4. Is there another way of increasing page access speed to my
clients and saving bandwidth besides Web Caching?

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Pablo Quintana
HONDURAS