Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:12:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        Doug Barton <DougGuy@san.rr.com>
Cc:        Pete Fritchman <petef@binary.databits.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: icmp-response bandwidth limit question

On Mon, 3 Apr 2000, Doug Barton wrote:

> Pete Fritchman wrote:
> >
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 734/200 pps
> > > icmp-response bandwidth limit 729/200 pps
> >
> > What do these indicate?
>
> 	That your kernel is dropping everything over 200 ICMP packets per
> second.

It indicates that your kernel is dropping ICMP and/or TCP responses that
are coming out faster than 200 packets per second. It's limiting what's
coming OUT from you.

> > I find it odd because all ICMP is dropped before reaching this particular
> > server.
>
> 	Apparently not. You should recheck your inbound filters.

Sorry, but this is an incorrect statement, ICMP_BANDLIM does not limit
what comes in, but rather what goes out. In this case, someone may have
been port scanning your machine and the kernel was eliciting RST's or ICMP
unreachables in return to non-open ports, and at the rate it was being
output it triggered ICMP response limiting.

> Good luck,
>
> Doug

Hopefully, I've given a more accurate spin on things...

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |