Date:      Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:19:57 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, Frank Mayhar <frank@exit.com>
Subject:   Re: Auto power-off?

> My secret spy satellite informs me that on 12-Jun-98, Mike Smith wrote:
> >> My secret spy satellite informs me that on 12-Jun-98, Frank Mayhar
> >>
> >> Also for the record, this does _not_ work with my Toshiba Satellite
> >> 105CS.
> >
> > What APM version?
>
> Windows 95 (OSR2) calls it "APM 1.1".  So does LInux (Slackware 3.4,
> kernel 2.0.33).
>
> According to the apm driver in 2.2.6-STABLE (checked out & built circa
> 980604), however:
>
> apm0 on isa
> apm: found APM BIOS version 14.0

Yecch, that's Bad.  Can you build a kernel with APM_DEBUG defined, and
send the relevant output?  I think we are not talking to the BIOS
correctly there.

> Since I'm interested in getting to the bottom of this, I would be willing
> to try CURRENT on this machine if there are significant changes in APM
> between RELENG22 and CURRENT.

I recently committed some changes to use vm86 mode when initialising
the APM connection - this *may* help.  You will need to build a kernel
with 'options "VM86"' in it as well as the APM device.