Date:      Fri, 25 Oct 1996 19:02:00 +0600 (ESD)
From:      "Serge A. Babkin" <babkin@hq.icb.chel.su>
To:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Networking in PCEMU (1/2)

> > Hi!
> >
> > I wrote the code that allows to access the network from pcemu.
> > It is also a great debugging environment in case you have
> > no real network. Commit it please. The first part contains
> > the kernel part (Garrett, please take a look at it) and the second
> > part contains the patch for pcemu (Satoshi, please take a look
> > a it). I plan to use it to port the Netware emulator from
> > Linux some day (may be not very soon).
>
> looks like a very nice piece of work.  I was wondering if someone
> has been working on pcemu to add more features. Here are some

Really I did it for another reason. :-) I'm trying to port the
Netware emulator from Linux but I needed the testing environment.

> projects I had started working on but did not complete. They are
> listed in order of importance.
>
> 1) 286 emulation (at least real mode). I have included some 286
>    instructions, but other are still missing. The problem arises
>    because a lot of compilers produce 80286 code by default, even
>    though there is no special requirement for that, and the poor
>    emulator dies when it finds them...
>
>    MAIN USE: various programs.

Seems very useful. Really as far as I know the real mode instruction
set of 286 is the same as of 186. And it has very few extensions
compared to 86. The main are the stack managing commands. The result
will be most likely understood by Norton Sysinfo as NEC V40. I even
worked some time on machine built on this CPU! :-)

> 2) PCemu in an xterm. Many programs are text only, and it would be very
>    nice to be able to run them in a text window, e.g. an xterm or so. I
>    spent some time hacknig the x11 module and now my development copy
>    is able to produce textual output in the xterm from which the pcemu
>    has been started. Input is a bit more critical because the simulator
>    wants make/break events from the keyboard, whereas the tty cannot
>    supply such events. Also, some special keys (function keys etc) are
>    not directly available. Anyways, my code is almost working, if
>    someone wants to take it over just let me know.

I can suggest a variant: running PCEMU on console. Little
pieces of code will need to be added to the console driver but
they will give you full functionality. At least VP/ix and DOSMerge
in SCO understand the console as a special case.

>    MAIN USE: our library has several databases on CD, with a DOS,
>    text-only browser. They have a multiuser licence (and in some
>    cases a site licence), and the way it currently works is exporting
>    via NFS the database, enabling clients on demand. This does not
>    work over a dial-up connection (well, I did it once, and it is
>    not _that_ bad, at least for some programs). Being able to run
>    PCemu in an xterm would make things much faster.

IMHO you'll get it slower. PCEMU itself is very slow and IMHO the time
it would need for processing will be much longer than is spent for
NFS access.

> 3) cga/ega/vga emulation. It should not be that hard for someone with
>    a little bit of X11 knowledge. Not very important, but some programs
>    still like to produce some graphic output.

I think it would be efficient only in the "native console" mode. In X
it already redraws slowly, what will be if the amount of data to
redraw would grow several times! Especially in brain-damaged EGA modes.

-SB