Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 15:44:34 -0500
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        Tillman Hodgson <tillman@seekingfire.com>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (was Re: HEADS UP!  MAJOR change to FreeBSD/sparc64) Boot failure on rebuild

On Thu, Mar 11, 2004 at 09:13:34PM -0600, Tillman Hodgson wrote:

> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0a
> setrootbyname failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6
> Manual root filesystem specification:
>                        eg. ufs:/dev/da0a
>   ?                  List valid disk boot devices
>   <empty line>       Abort manual input
> mountroot> ?
>
> Any suggestions? This looks like a geom boot disk thing rather than a
> 64bTT thing, but what with the timing I thought I'd better explore all
> scenarios.

This turns out to have been an unforseeable interaction between the
new CPU devices in sys/kern/subr_smp.c and the way sparc64 handles
the devices that connect to the nexus bus.  njl and jhb were able
to help figure out what the problem was.  A temporary "fix" just
got committed that removes the new CPU devices on sparc64 for now,
Nate will work on a better solution shortly.

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu