Date:      Thu, 10 Apr 1997 07:44:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Jolley <doug@cybernautics.net>
To:        undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject:   Newbie installation problems

Hi --

I'm a newbie to FreeBSD with some prior Linux experience.  I'm
trying to install the minibile distribution of version 2.2.1.
One thing I must say is that the installation procedure is so
straightforward that it doesn't leave much of any place to go
if things don't work.

I've attempted to install via a PPP serial connection, QIC tape,
and finally by floppy.  The latter is on the theory that a
floppy installation is the most basic of all installations and
eliminates the most possible variables.

Anyway, I get through the kernel setup and disk configuration
just fine.  It asks me if I'm sure that I want to do the install.
I respond affirmatively.  It does its thing and then says that
the installation is complete with errors.  It all happens very
fast and it doesn't appear that the appropriate source for the
distribution is accessed at all.  I'm told that I can get further
info by responding with a "no" to the next prompt which confuses
me because the next prompt is not a yes/no question.  I exit and
the system re-boots.  Before the re-boot I'm able to see a list
of debug information which all looks like what one would expect
except that it's FOLLOWED BY a statement that says, "cp not found".
I suspect that this is a clue to the identity of my problem.  The
only meaning that I can attribute to that statement is that the
Unix copy command is not found.  I don't know if that's what it
means or not.  Whatever it means, I have no idea what to do to
fix it.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help.

    ... doug
Doug Jolley    mailto://doug@cybernautics.net    http://www.cybernautics.net
         Don't bogart that file, my friend.  Net it over to me.