Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 1999 17:16:37 -0500
From:      "Adrian Parker" <jedi@brockville.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   No modem?

Perhaps someone can help me.  I recently went through the FreeBSD install,
or tried.  Everything worked ok accept the install via FTP.  It doesn't seem
to detect my modem.  It's a USR 56.6 V90 (ISA) running on comm port 2.  This
modem does not seem to be detected while starting the install process (when
it checks for PnP, PCI, and ISA devices).  When it tries to gather the
packages for installing the system, it doesn't dial.  I use the dial
command, as request, in the 3rd Virtual Console.  Soon after it returns that
the dialup is dead.

I had it dial my second phone line to verify that the modem wasn't dialing
at all.  I was correct, it wasn't dialing.

What could be wrong?  I know my modem is on Comm 2.  And I know it works
because I'm using it now in Win98 (it also works just fine in Linux).  Is
there any way to solve this?  I don't want to image copy everything to
floppy and install that way, just so that I can boot the OS and fight with
the modem settings (downloading everything is a pain on dialup).

Sincerely,
Adrian Parker

The Brockville Webring
http://webring.ripnet.com/