Date:      Fri, 10 Aug 2001 08:29:07 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: removing a symbolic link in 4.4-PRERELEASE

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:49:31PM +0200, Thorsten Trampisch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> after upgrading to 4.4-PRERELEASE via CVSup removing a symbolic link to
> a directory
> does not remove the link but the contents of the linked directory.
>
> Is this behavior a bug or why does it not work like I expected it to?

It still works the same way I have become accustomed to in FreeBSD.
Given that 'bar' is a symlink to 'foo':

1. rm -rf bar/		#Results in removal of foo and its contents
2. rm -rf bar		#Results in removal of bar synlink.

Not what I expected the first time I ran it, but apparently stock
behaviour. Been this way since at least 4.1, when I switched from Linux
to FreeBSD at home. What makes you think the semantics have changed for
4.4-PRE?

--
Greg White