Date:      Mon, 30 Sep 1996 02:36:46 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@freebsd.org>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gs looking for libz.h

Hi, Reference:
> From: roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
>
> According to Andreas Klemm:
> > Pine offers me more features in the moment and is better for
> > me to browse the mailinglist stuff. So I'd recommend pine a bit
> > more in the moment....
>
> If you're not afraid of alpha software (but works very well generally) and
> are willing to cope with some core dumps, try Mutt[1].

&/or also try EXMH, a really nice X11 mouse click style front end to MH,

  http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/ports/generic/mail/exmh/

The wrapper makefile is dated June 96 but that's just the date of my last
upgrade, the original wrapper I did long ago;  ref. my local copy:
	-rw-r--r--  1 jhs  staff  3370 Jun 27 13:46 Makefile
	drwxr-xr-x  2 jhs  staff   512 Dec 20  1995 files/
	drwxr-xr-x  2 jhs  staff   512 Jan 22  1996 patches/
	drwxr-xr-x  2 jhs  staff   512 Jan 17  1996 pkg/

Don't wait for it to arrive in ports/ though, it probably never will:

  Certain of the FreeBSD oligarchy take time to criticise my stuff,
  but take no time to supply diffs or code, which discourages others
  from examining or enhancing or committing, so there's no ports/mail/exmh.

  Similarly there's little chance of ever seeing my WYSIWYG style linkage
  of vi chimera ghostview xfig in src/ & ports/, just in:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/src\
		/generic/usr.bin/vi/wysiwyg.*
  All components to build this are listed in
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/FreeBSD/wysiwyg.shar
  It works, but like EXMH it's not in src/ & ports/.

  These with all my other uncommitted FreeBSD contributions are indexed in:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/fixes.html
  I apply all my fixes & extras localy, as per:
	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/src/automatic.html
  Enhancements to anything welcome, preferably as diff -c.

Give EXMH a try, it's rather nice, & unlike some mail interfaces,
it doesnt mandate a particular editor, it defaults to emacs, but one can
use anything (I use vi).

My wrapper may be a bit dated, it doesn't get much use, exiled in web space,
where there's not much incentive to maintain it;  diffs are welcome.

Julian
--
Julian H. Stacey	jhs@freebsd.org  	http://www.freebsd.org/~jhs/