Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:27:44 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Geoff Rehmet <geoff@hangdog.is.co.za>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        markm@iafrica.com
Subject:   On TCP sequence numbers

A topic that Mark and I have been discussing a little, is the
algorithms that FreeBSD uses for generating initial TCP sequence
numbers - that being with reference to the predictability of
these numbers.  (Work on this has been somewhere in Mark's
todo list for a while.)

This topic raises a few questions:
How good, or how bad are the initial sequence numbers that FreeBSD
uses?  (It seems that we could improve them a little.)
How unpredictable do we need to make the sequence numbers?

Some testing with nmap shows that Linux is generating sequence numbers
that are far more unpredictable than ours are.  (Linux is, however,
also using a 1MHz clock, as opposed to the 250kHz clock as outlined
in the RFC.)
We are only using a PRNG, as opposed to the entropy pool supplied by
devrandom to generate sequence numbers (warning here - devrandom is
only supported in the i386 port of FreeBSD).
My testing indicates that we can improve the entropy input into our
sequence numbers by using devrandom.  However, this is VERY dependent
on the entropy sources that you feed into the pool via rndcontrol(8).

Another question that comes in to this is - how good a tool is nmap
for evaluating the predictability of the sequence numbers we generate?

Ideally, I would like to do some improvements to our sequence number
generation.

Thoughts?

Geoff.
--
Geoff Rehmet, The Internet Solution - Infrastructure
tel: +27-11-283-5462, fax: +27-11-283-5401 mobile: +27-83-292-5800