Date:      Thu, 11 Dec 1997 18:33:02 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@efn.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        ETX-B-SL Martti Kuparinen <erakupa@kk.etx.ericsson.se>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: panic: npxintr from nowhere

Mike Smith scribbled this message on Dec 12:
> > > Hmm, interesting.  I would guess that this means that you shouldn't run
> > > floating point code in the kernel.
> >
> > :)  yeh...  well, I was going to improve the fade screen saver so that
> > it wouldn't turn everything to a dull grey...
>
> Fixed point.  Faster too.

so we have a fixpoint lib in the kernel now?? :)

I could rewrite it to used fix point, but it's that much extra code...
would a simple fixpoint lib be useful in the kernel?

> > also, if I remeber correctly, there are only two places in the kernel
> > that use floating point... one of them is in the Bt848 driver...
>
> I just looked; where?

I looked too, but couldn't find it...  must of been an older version of
the driver...

> > > It probably fails because the FPU initialisation is lazy, and if you
> > > haven't initialised it before you use it, you'll die screaming.
> >
> > is there a routine for the kernel code to use to initalize it?
>
> You'd have to ask Bruce about that.

ok... will do..

--
  John-Mark Gurney                          Modem/FAX: +1 541 683 6954
  Cu Networking

  Live in Peace, destroy Micro$oft, support free software, run FreeBSD